Thursday, August 20, 2009

MMM: Stars

This week's MMM Challenge: "Stars". 9 x 12 Canvas Panel






I made it on time! When thinking about this week's Mixed Media Monday challenge, "Stars", the first thing that came to mind was a mini-book layout I had done for baby Kendra (image can be found on the Flickr badge under Girly Book) using the same quote from Marilyn Monroe, one of my childhood icons:
"I used to think as I looked at the Hollywood night, 'there must be thousands of girls sitting alone like me dreaming of becoming a movie star. But I'm not going to worry about them, I'm dreaming the hardest'."
To be honest, I was a bit obsessed with her as a girl (I remember spending my first "real" money on an original copy of Life magazine in which she was featured on the cover, her first) so I welcomed the excuse to do this tribute to her.
The piece was done on a 9 x 12 canvas panel, and was made using Gesso (in relief), pearl acrilyc, a (free) image of MM printed onto a transparency which was then painted on the back, chipboard letters (I attempted to copy the old Hollywoodland sign), 2 types of glitter and (of course) a singe Swarovski crystal at the ear.
Thank you for looking! I look forward to next week's Mixed Media Monday prompt: "Together" . . .

3 comments:

Diane said...

Wonderful canvas, Kristin! Diane

Pat said...

A very gorgeous canvas, great work, Love it.

Willy said...

Fabulous canvas, Kristin!