Sunday, October 3, 2010

MMM: Shrines

Affirmation Shrine
"My good is rushing to greet me"
Detail of stork and circled #2
Teardrop crystal and crackle medium

This will be the first time that Mixed Media Monday is going monthly! With this prompt, Shrines, each participant will have an entire month to complete their pieces. I decided to take this opportunity to revisit a style of assemblage art that I first shared here. This latest piece is what I have come to call an Affirmation Shrine and reads, "my good is rushing to greet me. . . ."

The above was created using the back of an 8 x 10 canvas and a 5 x 7 canvas panel. I first painted the "front" back and sides of an 8 x 10 canvas in several soft washes of grey and blue. When the layers of acrylic were dry, I then added crackle medium (that had been mixed with paint) to the sides and corners of the "frame".  A few strokes of this mixture was also added to the canvas panel. Several layers of crackle and acrylic were applied to the rough exterior until I got the distressed look that I was after. The final step in this process was to wash the dried frame in charcoal. The canvas panel was also given a wash of soft acrylics before being collaged with damask wallpaper, stars, babies and the stork image from The Graphics Fairy

Final assemblage details include a teardrop crystal added to the top right of the frame with an eye hook, a bit of pink feather behind the wing of the baby that is meant to represent Kendra, glitter and white gel pen on the stork that is carrying the baby rushing to greet us and silver glitter details on the lining of the "clouds." Lastly, Swarovski crystals adorned the sky along with the cut out stars, vintage text was applied in a ransom-note style to spell out the sentiment and a portion of a vintage ruler was added to the front of the piece with E-600. The final touch was to use a craft knife to rip the exposed canvas sides so that whatever the piece is hung on will show through. 

Thank you for looking! I so look forward to seeing everyone's shrines this month . . .

Kristin xo

24 comments:

Julia Christie said...

Hi Kristin

This has such a great vintage feel to it! Love hearing about your process.

BTW - love love love the new pic of Kendra on your sidebar! Is she the cutest little thing or what!

Smiles

indie grrrl said...

Krisitn,
This is wonderful.... I just love it!

Kari Desi said...

Hi Kristin, thanks for visiting my blog. It's wonderful to meet you! Your affirmation shrine is lovely as is your affirmation. How encouraging and inspiring to think that "my good is rushing to meet me." I know I will be thinking about that this week! Thank you.

Elizabeth C. said...

Hello, I just wanted to say that this is a beautiful piece (I came here from the MMM site). Thanks for the detailed process information too.

Deann said...

Kristin ~ What a wonderful creation...and you have done a beautiful job with it...it's so precious.

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Love this, Kristin...so beautiful!

Michelle said...

Well done you! xoxo ♥

Carin said...

Kristin, this piece is wonderful. It's beautiful and obviously so full of meaning. I hope and pray that number two soon rushes to meet you :)

Mandy Chilvers said...

Kristin this is beautiful .. i love the teardrop wow.
You changed Kendra's pic ... oh she is the cutest kids ever! bless her and you !

Zuzu's Blog said...

Thank you for joining in this month..my first time as guest designer...
I love your shadow box piece.. its so soft and vintage looking. the crystal hanging is a great touch as is the ruler..
Z x

Diane said...

First of all Kendra is growing up!!--she's beautiful!! And next--your collage is wonderful--I love the texture and the meaning behind it--it's perfect!

Amy said...

HI Kristin..your piece is so very special. You are the sweetest mom I know on earth! OH my..the babes are darling and the feather is darling..for Kendra..melt my heart.
Thanks for sharing your love and talent.
hugs

E Makes Art said...

wow, you are on the ball. You just keep getting better and better my dear! Love this piece, the colors, words, feel, meaning, and of course....texture! And thanks for showing us close-ups, it looks even more amazing close up!

xoEsther

scrapwordsmom said...

CLEVER! I never would have thought to use the canvas this way!! Thanks, Kristin for always inspiring me. You are just soooo amazing. I mean you craft, you write amazing poems and blog!!

Lisa said...

While I ADORE the look of the finished piece (seriously right up my "taste-alley"), I love what it means even more. :)

Hermine said...

Its wonderful

Carol said...

Absolutely darling!

Terri said...

Kristen this is amazing! And I love your sentiment "My Good is rushing to meet Me"! That is so fabulous. Your colors and textures are wonderful. The whole piece is fanciful and totally creative!
Hugs,
TErri

Ginger said...

This is lovely, so vintage and soft looking.

JessiVille said...

I love your affirmation shrine! It's gorgeous! The vintage feel and the sparkle all done with beautiful color and texture. And I love your affirmation "My good is rushing to meet Me". Wonderful!

Michelle said...

Love the colours, the layout and the quote - fantastic shrine! Well done!

Kris Dickinson said...

Absolutely adorable!

Cheryl said...

Girl! That is beautiful! You always create magical/beautiful works of art. You rock sista! :-P
~Cheryl

Anonymous said...

Absolutely stunning, Kristin! Diane