Friday, August 29, 2014

Shameless . . .


"Shameless" (9 x 12 Loose Journal Page on Watercolor Paper)
"Jan could not recall ever seeing a creature more beautiful, though there nagged somewhere at the back of his mind the notion that she ought to have seemed hideous. Why? For she was pure, admirably pure, without a twinge of conscience or shame." - Meredith Ann Pierce

Hellooooo and happy PPF! I hope this finds you happy, well and enjoying the last of your Summer season. 
I for one am so ready to get back to a regular schedule. Summers with a little one are an adventure, but there's something to be said for the comfort of a routine. (Like um, time to actually paint). Having said that, I did do one little thing that I thought you might like a peek at. And I took lotsa process shots along the way. Wanna see? Okay, here goes:
Began with a quick sketch and some basic collage 

Added a wash of acrylic and oil pastels

Layered on molding paste (mixed with white acrylic) pushed through a stencil
Coloring her in. (AKA the "ugly stage")
Defined the eyes and added more color and molding paste

Final touches include the addition of some decorative napkins, more oil pastels, charcoal, iridescent stars, a bit of trim and a racy piece of vintage text. 
Shameless, I know. But when a word pops out at you, you just have to go for it. Especially when you hadn't gotten around to actually "dressing" her yet. Ha: serependity at it's finest! 
Thank you for taking a look. And thank you to Kristin and Eva for all of their efforts in bringing us together.  

See you next week! I have an exciting announcement that I can't wait to share. Hmmmmm . . . . 
To Love & Art,
Kristin xo

22 comments:

JansArtyJunk said...

BEAUTIFUL!! x

Tori B. said...

Love her. It's nice to see your process.

Valerie-Jael said...

Wow! Fantastic. Hugs, Valerie

sheila 77 said...

I really enjoyed seeing this take shape with the different techniques and the finished art is fabulous, so colourful.
She looks like a very determined lady!

Linda Kunsman said...

thank you for sharing the process-she is stunning!! Personally I am sad that summer is ending-but then I no longer have a little one to keep busy :)

ForgedinPaper said...

Love her attitude. Thanks for sharing your process.

Christine said...

she is adorable!

Joanna said...

She's adorable! Thank you for the process photos, I really enjoyed looking at them.

xxx

Giggles said...

Gorgeous Kristen...I love her adorable face and all he yummy colors! Not sure if you've ever watched the show shameless..but we love it!! Not for everyone...but it gives you insight!!

Good to see you back!

Hugs Giggles

K J D said...

Super cute :)

I really did enjoy seeing the process too - thanks for sharing :)

Karen x

Jenny said...

Oh Kristin... I love her... and your page... gorgeous progress shots... and the texture paste and delicious colours look amazing..

Jenny X

denthe said...

Love seeing you create! the colours are gorgeous and happy, and I love that bold stencil!

Deepa Gopal said...

She's gorgeous, Kritin! Lovely necklace :)
Deepa
http://www.deepazworld.blogspot.in/

Carmen said...

Oh I love when you do process shots! She's fab, I love that she is nuddy save for her necklace and word banner :-D

Oh yes, my lot are finally back to school Thursday. Cannot wait to dive head first into my shedio!

massofhair said...

Fantastic Kristin some amazing layering techniques which i love. Thanks for showing your process, the end result is spectacular :-) xxx

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

She may be shameless, but she's a real beauty, Kristin. And I like her face, too.

Seems I'm running WAY behind visiting all my favorite sites, but I'm sure glad I stopped by to say hello today.

Sharon Fritchman said...

Hi Kristin! This is amazing! I am in awe of your beautiful work of art! I love how you showed us the steps to making her, too! Simply fabulous and so creative. And yes,I agree with you. It is good to be back in a little more of schedule now that school has re-started. I love fall, too!

Little Artbee said...

Great background texture and such a nice pink hair girl.Fresh colours, I love it.
Have a nice new week.
Dear Greetings
Sabine

Alexandra MacVean said...

She's absolutely lovely, Kristin. I LOVE your little gals! :)

Terri Corona said...

She is just precious. And I have to tell you how wonderful your "with one pallette" article turned out in Somerset Studio - I was so excited when I saw it!

Chandra Merod said...

I love her she is great! I like the eyes and her cute polka dot pink hair.

OracleGaia said...

What a beautiful portrait. I love the name Shameless. It's really good for newbies like myself to see the process step-by-step. Tfs, Kristin.