Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Art of Teaching . . .


"The art of teaching is the art of assisting discovery." -- Mark Van Doren


Last week I had the opportunity to do something that I hadn't done in nearly 10 years: I got to teach again! 

In my former life as a retail Cosmetic Education Director, I conducted makeup artistry classes on a weekly basis as part of my job. And to be honest, I loved every bit of it. I loved sharing my passion for the products, supplies and techniques as much as I loved seeing the smiling faces of those I was working with. I always attempted to make the classes I taught educational as well as fun. I mean, as adults, if we're going to spend time in a classroom again, I figure it should be an adventure. So while my peers would get down to business in their regions, I was known to have classrooms full of singing students playing with play dough (not kidding - it's a great way to introduce color mixing) and chomping on ring pops. The lessons always came through, they just came by way of antidotes and whimsy. And although it's been a decade since my early career, I've always known that I would get back into teaching - in one form or another - one day

So the idea of my one day coming around - and teaching something that I'm completely and utterly in love with - is honestly a dream come true. Not only did I have a class full of lovely ladies eager to play with me and explore the world of Art Journaling, but I personally received so much from their excitement and enthusiasm. Really, the entire experience - 10 years in the making - was pure bliss. . . 

Of course I took process shots along the way so that I could share with you our day of play. Ready? Okay, here we go:

Student "Goodie bags" full of vintage little pretties

And lotsa fun supplies to play with

Here we are prepping with Gesso

And making our own painted papers

And decorative tapes

In bold, poppy colors

Painted by Sweet Hearts

Playing with paint chips and image transfers

And several Art Journal pages in progress

Full of whimsy

Elegance

And FUN!

Thank you friends, for sharing your art and heart with us all!

And thank you, for taking a peek into my exciting adventure in teaching. And the best news?! The venue has asked me to teach again in 2015! So I'll be back in Palm Desert, CA in April conducting a class on Mixed Media girls in all their drippy, sparkly fun. (More on that to come).



Speaking of drippy, sparkly fun, I hope you'll consider joining me and 25 fan-tabulous teachers for the biggest Mixed Media adventure of them all: Life Book 2015! I. Am. So. SO. Excited to be a part of the line up, and am anxious for the whole thing to begin in what is now less than a month away. If you're looking for an amazing gift to give - especially if to yourself - I hope you'll consider it. Having been a part of Life Book since it's inception, I can personally attest to it's powers of community, joy and education. It is honestly one not to miss. 


Join Life Book by popping over here


To love, art and the joy of teaching,
Kristin xo

Facebook

14 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Looks like you all had wonderful fun! Hugs, Valerie

K J D said...

I can feel your excitement!!!!

Well done you.... I'd so love to be able to hop on a plane and do a class with you! It looks like you all had so much fun!!!

I can hardly wait for your Life Book lesson!

Karen x

Christine said...

Doing what you love is a dream come true! Thanks for sharing!

Linda Kunsman said...

I get your passion and love of teaching Kristin. Just look at those very happy faces and colorful projects! No surprise you're teaching again-this is only the beginning I think:)

denthe said...

Everyone is looking as if they had a terrific time! Sounds like you got the teaching-virus again :-)

Unknown said...

Oh how amazing!!! A cosmetic education Director!!! Wow! That sounds amazing. I just discovered Sephora...LOVE!!

Mary Ann Potter said...

Pure delight! Y'all obviously had a fabulously wonderful and wonderfully fabulous time!

Salla said...

Your workshop sounds great and I wish I could've been there! I read your blog because of Summer of Color, and am excited to see you're also in the Life Book crew. I'm seriously considering joining it next year. I'm just not sure if online/video based courses are my thing!

Sometimes it's harder to find the time to create at home than to pack your things and attend a class elsewhere. Anyway, huge congratulations!

Annie Claxton said...

How wonderful to be able to share someting you love so much, it sounds like you're an amazing teacher. What a brilliant day you all had, great to see all those vibrant colours and happy smiles :o)

Miss Marple said...

That looks like loads of fun!!! Have a great and creative weekend! - Irma

sheila 77 said...

What a wonderfully exciting class. Love to see all the colour and patterns

Sharon Fritchman said...

Oh boy! Your workshop looks like is was absolutely amazing, Kristin! I wish, wish I lived closer - I would definitely come to your next one!!! (And I think I am going to join the life books online class - the only thing stopping me is TIME!!!! where do you find the time for all of this? LOL!)

Sharon Fritchman said...

Ok, Kristin! I checked it out and guess what??? I just signed up!!! Oh my gosh, I can hardly contain my excitement! I have so much to learn about mixed media!! My question - what materials do we need to begin?

PaintingWrite said...

Just from reading your post I can't imagine anyone else better placed to teach-the enthusiasm just pours out of every word and I'm sure the class enjoyed it as much as you did. Good luck with the next one.