Sunday, September 4, 2016

Out Of Practice. And A Video to Prove It. . . .


"My big thesis is that although the world looks messy and chaotic, if you translate it into the world of numbers and shapes, patterns emerge and you start to understand why things are the way they are."
- Marcus du Sautoy


I learned something last time at bat in the studio. As you may have guessed by my lack of posts or art or really anything of creative value this Summer, I've been totally absent. Absent from painting, absent from drawing, and absent from the very room that I usually long to play in. {Although, having said that, I did spend weeks - literally weeks - transforming that hot mess of a room into a real working space with proper storage, organization and a new YouTube set up, so that was exciting}.

I think my absence in part comes from the fact that this was the first Summer that I didn't have The Summer of Color, an annual art event I hosted for 5 years, keeping me busy. And I think in part because of all this time I had on my hands, I just froze. Like a deer in headlights. But like, one that's holding art supplies and stuff. 

So back to what I learned. For me, when I'm out of sorts or out of practice, I find myself waffling when I get back to it. And my waffling, turns out, comes in layers. Many, many layers. I don't know if its insecurity that makes me want to throw every trick or technique or color that I ever learned, used or bought to the table, or honestly, if my picker is just off. You know, that voice that tells you when enough is enough. Maybe that voice is just quiet right now. Or, I guess there's always the opposite, that this page just didn't want to stop being played with.





Either way, I filmed the process and you can be the judge. If you too have been absent from creating, I hope my lack of direction in the above video inspires you in some way. After all, sometimes all we really need is a bit of messy & chaotic to get us back in the game . . . .

With love,
Kristin xo

SaveSave

10 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Good to see you back with us again, hugs, Valerie

Christine said...

I love the quote and it goes so well with your piece!

Linda Kunsman said...

hooray!!!! SO good to have you back in creative mode and lots of luscious layers and colors!!

Mary Ann Potter said...

I too have been in places where I think my creativity has taken a long vacation! Your video is wonderful ----- it proves that we never lose it. More importantly, our muses may be away BUT ONLY SO THEY CAN FIND SOME COOL NEW IDEAS!!! (Preaching to myself, too!) And you aren't the only one who's missed Summer of Color!

Laura said...

Thanks for sharing this video! I love watching people create, it is so inspiring! Welcome back!
blessings
~*~

Karla B said...

So glad you are back!

POINTYPIX said...

Welcome back Kristin, I think it's been that kind of summer for many of us. I didn't disappear entirely but I've certainly been chasing my mojo around my art shed for a while. For me it was almost as soon as my husband finished building me my own bespoke art shed I suddenly didn't have the same inspiration to get painting - perhaps no longer having an excuse not to paint gave my mojo a fright and sent it packing! Anyway, it's come back and I'm glad to see that yours has too - what incredible shine and texture on that finished piece - lovely!

artfullycarin@gmail.com said...

Welcome back Kristin! You are definitely not alone. I haven't made any "proper" art (just very quick sketches), and haven't blogged all summer. Feeling very rusty now. So lovely to see your process video though and now can't wait to get back into the studio. xoxox

Denise said...

How much fun watching You create and always so pretty too.I've been away from Your blog way too long and I'm going to make an effort to visit more often. I know I've seen Your video just a couple of weeks ago maybe...So it must have been somewhere else.Your neighbor Denise from Rancho Cucamonga-OX

Robert Smith said...

I m so glad to visit this blog.This blog is really so amazing
clipping path service|Background Removal service|Vector Tracing