Saturday, May 14, 2011

SPA: Dada

"Journey"
6 x 4 Postcard

I loved this week's prompt - Dada - over at Sunday Postcard Art. If you are not familiar with Dada, you're not alone. I had no idea what it was until Marion's challenge inspired me to check it out. Essentially, Dada was an art movement at the turn of the century that came to be known as "anti-art." It's strove to "buck the system" or create pieces which were political, humorous or in some was opposite of the traditional art forms at the time. In a way, it was an art sub-culture that ironically changed all art as we know it today.  

I loved the idea of creating something out of my comfort zone and for this piece, I challenged myself to dig into my box of scraps and just create. There was no preconceived notion of what I wanted to achieve, just some subliminal collage work going on. And I have to say, what I came up with surprised even myself.  . . 

"Journey" was created on a base of handmade papers (the pig's flying stamp sealed the deal), that was collaged with a magazine image and other ephemera. Her arm was "tattooed" with rub-ons and her eye was enhanced with a false lash barcode that came with the Journey transparency found on the bottom. The piece above her eyes is meant to represent sunglasses and the vintage text reads, "your failures, each mistake." Final touches included a Swarovski art "earring, " stamping and Stickles glitter.

Kristin xo

18 comments:

bockel24 said...

I like the way you´ve played with lettering here!

Judy said...

Wonderful card, Kristin, love your bright colours!

JessiVille said...

Very creative! Not too busy, just right. I really like this kind of art but I suck at it. Good job Kristin! Jessi xox

indybev said...

Love it LOVE IT! Those bar code eyelashes are a great touch! Great work.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

Oooh, I like what you've done here! Great artwork.

Deann said...

Very cool Kristin...I love her roulette wheel heart...excellent DADA...Bravo!!

Jen @Sadie Inspired said...

I love it. The colors are so bright & I am loving her bar code eyelashes. Isn't it amazing what ends up on the canvas when you just let your creativity flow. Hope you are having a GREAT weekend!! :)

johanna said...

great! looks like you had fun, and that is dada!

Mandy Chilvers said...

this is fab Kristin... and love Kendra's new pic!

peggy gatto said...

You got it!!!!!!!
Dada was new to me too, kind of like pre-stempunk!

joanna said...

Love this piece Kristin! and I loveee Kendra's new photo! she's a cutie pie :))

Silvia(Barnie) said...

That's cool, wonderful postcard.

Jingle said...

This is wonderful! I'm going to check out that site!

Amy said...

LOVE..pure art love...never heard of Dada either..glad I know now. Love the barcode for eyelashes..it's fab idea. The pig flying is too cute for words!

Dana Barbieri said...

cool. love it. and your summer of colors sounds great! I LOVE COLOR!
xo

Daniele Valois said...

I love it. I have never heard of Dada, but honestly, I don't know where any of the challenges and artsy stuff are. I must get out in blog land more! haha.

Totally love this!

E Makes Art said...

Love this!!! And the barcode eyelashes are the best idea evah!!!

xoE

and pigs flying... haha!! love it!

Birgit said...

Great collage. Absolutely like it