Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Lazy Scrapbook

"Little Man"
6 x 6 Chipboard Album covered in Canvas & adorned with a vintage materials.

So I used to scrapbook. A lot. As in, over-a-dozen-albums-in-my-kid's-first-year a lot. And I loved it. I could spend hours on one 12 x 12 layout, happily oblivious to everything else around me. Until one day I noticed that my scrapbook pages were slowly being replaced by altered books and experiments on canvas. The paint I bought to accent my pages was being used in ways I would have never expected and from there . . . well, let's just say my scrapbook obsession has never been the same again. 

With the exception of once a year. Once a year I get out the ole' mojo and attempt a mini album for the children - both of whom were born on the same day, 7 years apart - of my childhood friend. It's a gift for their birthday and although I usually end up doing them last minute, this year, I really went the lazy route and created Camden's using as few products as possible . . .

I started by using all B & W photos for a uniform look. Each picture was carefully cut out and distressed with sandpaper and / or scissors.
I gathered all the supplies I could find with a similar look and feel. Mini folders in various sizes, small journal cards, ledger papers, vintage ephemera, tissue paper (7 Gypsies) and one stack of Tim Holtz Kraft Resist Paper Stash were the mainstays. 
I then cut the pages in bulk and enhanced them (in an assembly line fashion) with watered-down buff paint, bright white acrylic paint (applied with a brayer) and smudges of charcoal.
Additional details came from images torn from tissue paper and neutral-colored pencils around the images. Personal notes were added to the mini-folders and around some of the pictures with ink. Sparkly touches (naturally ;) were made using Stickles glitter and silver leaf.
For the finale, I kept the last image color and etched a #4 into the picture to represent the year he was turning. 

And you know what? I liked the limitations I placed on myself: not only did the album have a uniform look, but there was a lot less to think about during the creative process. It was easy, fun and fast. So you see, being lazy isn't always that bad after all . . .

Kristin xo

15 comments:

Vicki said...

I love this! I like the neutral color scheme and the way you used the same techniques throughout. It does make the thought of making a mini book appeal to me again. I may have to do one!

Anonymous said...

this is so cool, I love the eclectic look of this,, I admire people have this talent,, knowing just what works and where,

Lotus said...

I think you did a beautiful job with this! Sometimes simple is perfect. Thank you for showing us!
Lotus

Donna P. said...

I LOVE the vintage feel!! Great job!
PS Happy Birthday to the kids!

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful album, love how you have painted and decorated the pages, very effective! Valerie

Joanna said...

What a wonderful gift. I really like the simple colours you've picked, and those are gorgeous photos of the children!

xx

Jenny said...

Oh Kristin, your book is beautiful... love the uniformed look and the gorgeous pics...
And I received my issue of Somerset Apprentice yesterday... WOW, LOVED your pages... so awesome to see you in there...

Have a wonderful week...
Jenny x

Unknown said...

I like the uniform look that ties everything together. I will have to keep this in mind in the future.

Jingle said...

This is absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I love it!

Unknown said...

That is a beautiful gift.

Fars Datter said...

Yes, this is great! I love the simplicity and "ruggedness" of it! Really cool! :-))

carol l mckenna said...

Love this very creative scrapbook ! Awesome! ~ Had your button on my blog but never made it to Summer of Color ~ Hope your child is adjusting to school well and that Mommy is doing great too! namaste, carol ^_^

Anonymous said...

Love the scrapbook Kristin. What a wonderful gift to give to your friend- it's such a beauty. I really love that you have made it all neutral, except the last image- it gives it such a nice surprise at the end!

Unknown said...

I love this amazing scrapbook!!!! what an amazing job you did Kristin!!! and I know that this will be treasured for many years to come!!!

Anonymous said...

what a fabulous scrapbook, so beautiful and unique, i love how you did this its inspiring
also just wanted to let you know I have a free collage sheet today for all my friends, please pop by and help yourself
hugs June x