Monday, February 4, 2013

29 Faces . . . .

29 Faces, Day 1
Strathmore Visual Journal

Yep, I'm doing it too . . . a first for me. After seeing so many amazing sketches, paintings and participants creating a face-a-day over the last few challenges, I decided to bite the bullet and give it a try myself. At first I was intimidated by the sheer volume of would-be work, but I committed anyway, knowing that my girls were getting a bit, um, stale (just being honest) and that if I wanted change, I'd need to actually do something about it . . . .

So February first came and it turns out, I'm a busy girl. Had no time at all to start this new challenge until I got home that evening - at around 11 pm - the hour just before my pumpkin expires. But alas, commit I did, so I got to work and found . . . that I really loved it. Late night sketching in front of a bad round of reality TV is apparently a good combination, at least it worked for me. So much so, that I repeated that routine for nights 2 and 3 (which is why I have only Instagram shots thus far - no light ;). Here's what I came up with:

29 Faces: Day 2
Inspired by "Young Girl in a Fichu" 
Sculpture by Jules Dalou, early 1890's
(I told you I needed a change - I decided to try my hand at copying the classics ;)

29 Faces: Day 3
Inspired by Kees Van Dongen's "Lady in a Black Hat" (1908)

So, yeah, that's where I am to date. Since it's day four and I haven't gotten out the pencils yet, I guess the late-night sketching / bad TV routine will continue. . . .

Looking forward to more - and to seeing all of your 29 Faces!



Kristin xo

32 comments:

Terri Corona said...

I'm so excited you're participating Kristen! I LOVE what you've done so far, your takes on these classics are so clearly inspired by them, but uniquely your own.

This is a big commitment for me too, I changed my mind about 3 times before actually hitting the publish button on my first post, but so good for us to push ourselves.

Michellem said...

Kristen - Your girls are lovely!! The 29 Faces challenge is definitely a marathon but such a great experience. Can't wait to enjoy all your work this month!!

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous Faces! Love them all!

Jen @Sadie Inspired said...

I am LOVING all your faces. Such fab inspiration too. You are making me want to join in! :)

Valerie-Jael said...

Great work, love your sketches! Valerie

K J D said...

Hi Kristin....

It will be so interesting to see how your 'girls' develop throughout the 28 days.

Your late night sketches are brilliant! I love how you were inspired by the classics.

Karen x

Carin said...

Yep, you definitely rock this challenge! And what a fun way to try out new stuff!

Diane said...

I'm so glad you're here Kristin, and Yes, I agree completely--it really helps you get out of your comfort zone and experiment. And thank you for introducing me to Keys Van Dongen's art--I love looking at these artists' paintings--great inspiration, and I really really like his style!

Unknown said...

great idea to sketch the classics. What terrific inspiration! Love what you've done.

Debi said...

Your handwriting is amazing...classic all the way...♥Debi

Mary Ann Potter said...

Your own work is classic, too, you know! Beautiful journal pictures!

EVA said...

Wonderful faces so far! It really is a good challenge, I think, to try out new techniques, tools, inspiration sources and media.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Maggie said...

Love your faces! Looking forward to seeing more...

Kyra Wilson said...

Love the faces! :) I probably should have taken the challenge too, but I was worried I wouldn't have enough time either. Nice job!

Anne said...

Kristin, your faces are beautiful. I can relate very much to sketching in front of the TV. I do a lot of it myself :0) I look forward to your daily face.

Janet said...

I'm doing this challenge, too...mostly because all my faces look the same. We should have a new bunch of faces by the end of this. I like what you've done so far.

denthe said...

It's great that you decided to join in Kristin! Love your sketches, and great idea to try and copy classics.

Carmen said...

I keep wanting to do this challenge but have a feeling I would fall at the first hurdle. Next time maybe :)

I love what you've done - you can see the inspiration in them but at the same time they are still very much your girls. Just lovely.

Maria Medeiros said...

wonderful!!!

Amanda S. Hicks said...

I just love your faces =) Their little noses are so cute!!

Olivier Violin said...

Vos portraits sont pleins de délicatesse et de poésie...
Félicitations :)

WrightStuff said...

Delightful! More More!!

GlorV1 said...

Love these, Very nice. Thanks.

Jenny said...

Oh Kristin... your faces are beautiful... so happy to see you in the challenge... and just loving what you are creating...

Jenny ♥

Art Play Today said...

Hi Kristin! I'm a Kristen too! Thanks for the nice comment you left on my blog! Your faces are beautiful, I really like that you used other artists for your inspiration! I need to give that a try! I'm glad you joined the challenge and hope to see a lot more of your artwork. I'm also looking forward to following your blog!

Tammie Lee said...

such lovely sketches~

Cameron said...

I love that they are mirrored from classic works...but still your recognizable style! I think that is just awesome...to have a style....and have it just come out naturally like that :)

The description of the hour before your pumpkin expired had me smiling! Clever girl ;P

manomij said...

I am glad you showed up at the 29face challenge. I lost your link on my sidebar because of doing some work on the look of my blog:( I am now following so I can not lose you again. Hope you are well! Love your faces.
manonX

Giggles said...

These are just great and a bit of a deviation from your normal style!! Beautiful!!

Hugs Giggles

trish said...

I am doing 29faces for the first time as well! You are right...its all about practice and not being content with being "stale". Looking forward to seeing your entire collection!

Stephanie said...

Beautiful sketches! I can't to see more!

Cherie said...

Wonderful! Love seeing people stretch and create something totally different than they usually do. I think thatz what this is all about! You have some lovely faces, going to look at more now!