Friday, February 8, 2013

Paint Party Friday: Thumbelina

"Tiny Keepsakes"
Thumbelina assemblage using an altered soap box

Happy PPF

I hope this week has found you happy, well and in a creating frenzy. At least that was the case for me. It seems as if weeks' worth of ideas swirling around in my head have finally turned into something concrete and frankly, between 3 projects on the fire and a daily drawing for 29 Faces, I've been crazy-busy. But in a good way . . . .

On this post I shared some Instagram shots of a teeny tiny project I started last week. If you guessed that it was about Thumbelina - one of my favorite childhood stories - you were right.  It all started on a walk with my baby (okay, I know she's 7 but still) when she picked up a pea pod type thing off the ground. I'm sure you know what it's called (I don't) but when I saw it, I instantly thought of a little bed. Which, for some reason, led me to think of the little fairy girl I have always admired. 

Ironically, Thumbelina is a Hans Christian Andersen tale about a peasant woman who could not have a child of her own. (Hum). She exchanged food for special seeds that once planted, grew into a tiny little girl, no bigger than your thumb. Here's my interpretation of the special keepsakes that I think her Mama would have saved - in a special place - just for her:

The altered soap box. Martha Stewart crackle paint (from the hardware store) on the sides of the lid and crackle paint covered in Martha Stewart glitter on the sides of the bottom. The top of the lid is covered in decorative paper, watercolor crayons and beeswax.

The first element: a little jar of "seeds" (or glass glitter). Vintage text reads, "Little Girl." 

The flower pot I imagine she sprang from. It was made with Paper Clay (a first for me) which I purposely (I promise) distressed and cracked. It rests on a shell that was painted and prettied with Stickles glitter, Swarovski crystals and a vintage tiny flower bud coming out from the cracks in the shell.

Little things for the little one: a decorative plate that I "chipped" and distressed. The napkin is a small piece of fabric and the glittered shell serves as her bowl.

Her bed. With a pearl for a pillow.

Everything in it's place. Keepsakes for Mama's tiny one.

All tied up for safe keeping. With a "T" for Thumbelina of course.


There it is! And now I'm off to a Tea Party . . . Check out the Instagram pictures (on my sidebar ;) if you wanna see some of the next WIP's I'm working on. Hint: Her name's Alice . . . .


Kristin xo

37 comments:

Lorraine said...

hello again lovely work here happy ppf

carol l mckenna said...

Wonderfully creative work ~ love the box !

Carol of: (A Creative Harbor)
visiting from PPF

Ivy said...

This is lovely! HPPF!

peggy gatto said...

So delicate, so pretty, beautifully crafted!!!

Valerie-Jael said...

This is just gorgeous, soooooo lovely, and very meaningful! Hugs, Valerie

K J D said...

What a very special project Kristin.... it's truly gorgeous.

Livi and I have read and watched Thumbelina so many times... one of our favourites too:)

Karen x

Mary Ann Potter said...

Here's a link to the song, right from Danny Kaye to all of us! Such a sweet project! Every little girl needs this stuff...

http://youtu.be/8KzY4EEjmyg

Mary Ann Potter said...

I just discovered that the link to the song didn't "take" properly. So you can get to it by clicking on my name on this post. (I need to remember how to do that!)

Cameron said...

What a dear project, Kristin...so full of love and hope....and the joys we Moms get to "keep" with us :)

Makes me miss those old craggly olive trees at our old apartment....they had cracks and knotholes in them that made great fairy home facades...

This idea is precious!

Jenny said...

Oh Kristin... words cannot describe just how stunning this is... oh my gosh it is beautiful.... I always loved the story of Thumbelina as a child too... the little elements are divine... such a precious keepsake...

Jenny ♥

Ilona Heimböckel said...

This is something special indeed! :-)

Just so adorable, Kristin!

Happy PPF and see you with more faces!

Ilona x

Kyra Wilson said...

I always loved Thumbelina too! :)

Stephanie Mealor Corder said...

Oh how sweet- I love all the details you put into this, so very perfect for your little one!
Happy PPF,
Stephanie

Unknown said...

This is such a neat project. I'm sure that it will be treasured. I am amazed at all the tiny little details that are just right.

Christine said...

sweet work today Kristin!

EVA said...

Such a pretty dainty project!

Netty said...

Loving your pretty detailed project and am sure the babe will love it. Happy PPF, Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

GlorV1 said...

So delicate and so pretty. Lots of nice details. Thanks for sharing.

Terri Corona said...

SO PRECIOUS! Even more so because it's meaningful for you. I just adore it...

sharon said...

Wow what a lovely project. Thumbelina was one of my faves as a little girl too.

Unknown said...

I just love this! Love little things and this creation is incredible. Happy PPF!

Jen @Sadie Inspired said...

OH my goodness - all the creative, wonderfully fabulous things you have up your sleeve. SO inspiring! AND, you know I am loving the Alice peeks! :)

Maria Medeiros said...

Truly lovely! Thank you for your visit to my blog! I truly appreciate your comment! Thank you kindly! Your work is absolutely beautiful! Have a lovely weekend!!!

Shahrul Niza said...

Oh Kristin, what a gorgeous little creations!! SO many things to see, LOVE how detailed they are :). My favorite has to be T's bed, I LOVE to curl up in there!. HUGS.

Anne Manda said...

Incredibly pretty and imaginative, love love love! :)

Theresa Plas said...

How darling! Sweet details! So creative Kristin!

bellefrogworks said...

Kristin - Oh that is so sweet. I love the detail - that chipped plate is just precious. It is such a creative piece. HPPF

Victoria said...

Such a beautiful and enchanting post..gorgeous creations..fabulous..full of charm and inspiration! I used to have a Thumbelina doll when I was a little girl!
Wonderful post and beautiful art!
Victoria
Happy PPF

Linda Kunsman said...

this is positively darling!!! Happy PPF!

Lynn Cohen said...

Sweet, you did so well! HPPF!

Giggles said...

The whole time reading this post the song Thumbelina was playing in my head...Thumbelina, Thumbelina tiny little thing Thumgelina dance Thumbelina sing Thumbelina what's the difference if you're very small? When your heart is full of love you're nine feet tall! Danny Kaye sang it!!I'm old..lol

This sweet post evoked so many memories! Adorable little art piece!! Thanks for sharing!

Hugs Giggles

denthe said...

OMG that's so cute. Love that little bed!

1CardCreator said...

This is stunning! I love all the gorgeous and meaningful details you have put into your little work of art! Thank you for stopping by my blog too! ~Diane

PiaRom said...

OMG how sweet is that!! And such a lovely story it has! This is a masterpiece :) I totally looooooove it!!♥♥♥

Marji said...

Pure teeny tiny awesomeness!!

Dianne said...

so charming and adorable! love the colors, and glitter never hurts either! =)

Tracey FK said...

I adore thumbelina... and can't wait to see Alice... the workmanship in this is amazing... and love love love the colours...xx