Sunday, February 7, 2010

Altered Game Board

"Dream"
Altered Game Board
As a birthday gift for my favorite Aunt, I attempted to repeat a project that I learned a couple of years ago in a class taught by (the wonderful, kind and oh-so talented) Pam Garrison. The original piece was made from a game board (cut in half) and included a glass jar to be used as a bud vase. Although I did not have another vase small enough to attach to the new piece, I was able to find (okay, let go of!) a large crystal taken from an old chandelier that I had in my stash. I liked the way it gave weight to the piece, and knew that it would create an amazing prism effect when kissed by the sun. So, with my revised version in mind, I began to work on a piece that I knew would mean a lot to the recipient. The central photo is of Kendra and her cousin Grady - the birthday girl's grandson - on our first family trip (just the daughters, grandchildren and grandmas) to Disneyland. . . .

Game board cut in half and sanded

Altered photo, collage of vintage and new decorative papers
which were whitewashed and dotted with melted crayon.

Sides are detailed with paint and crystal is adhered with wire to bottom.
The piece is finished off with ribbon and trim.

Original inspiration from Pam Garrison.
Hangs on Kendra's bedroom door (and always has a fresh flower).
To see more of Pam Garrison's work, Please check out her blog: www.pamgarrison.typepad.com. She is truly an inspiration to me, and I know that you will love her work as much as I do.

10 comments:

Amy said...

it's gorgeous!! Love the ribbon and cute fun painted faces!

K said...

gorgeous!

Shona Cole said...

that is lovely, you do excellent mixed media work.

shona cole

Rika said...

Lovely!

peggy gatto said...

What a project and your attention to details and finishing shows off!!!!

johanna said...

i bet your aunt is totally proud of it/you!!

vintage wil said...

Gorgeous work!!

Sherry Goodloe said...

As the others before me have already written, yes, lovely gorgeous artwork!

On another note . . .will you please send me your e-mail address. I can't find it anywhere on your blog and when I get e-mails from you your address shows up as "noreply-comment@blogger.com". Thanks sweet lady!

DMG said...

What an incredibly thoughtful and beautiful gift! I know that I would treasure something like this forever. The crystal and green fringe really make this piece come alive.

Nicola said...

Wow Kristin! This is beautiful!! You are so clever, everytime you produce something new it never ceases to amaze me. I love your poodle piece for MMM too, sooooo cute!! Lovely work!!!