Sunday, February 14, 2010

MMM: Mardi Gras

"Key To Understanding"
9 x 5 Altered Game Board




I've been so inspired with the assemblage pieces featured on Mixed Media Monday lately - including those created by our guest host (Cindy) and last week's Romance winner (Diane) - that I decided to take the colors of this week's prompt, Mardi Gras, and create something of an assemblage piece of my own.

I love the idea of creating something functional that allows me to showcase some beautiful vintage keys that were hiding in a drawer only this morning . . . I also glued (don't tell my husband!) a vintage bolt from the same stash to the top for balance.
The materials used are fabric (which has been distressed and inked), glitter, silk ribbon, a decorative button and, of course, Swarovski crystals. The backing is a piece of game board and the quote says, "It is the key to understanding."

Thank you for looking! To see more of this week's challenge, please check out all the talent on http://www.mixedmediamonday.wordpress.com

22 comments:

joanna said...

Kristin, What a great entry!! love those Swarovski crystals!

Diane said...

This is beautiful, Kristen!! and I want those keys :)

Diane said...

This is just so beautiful, Kristin! What a lucky find with the keys - wish I could dig up some old rusty things, grin! Diane

Unknown said...

Very beautiful piece. I love the keys. The crystals add a wonderful touch.

Anonymous said...

This is lovely! I am beginning to crave doing assemblage because of all the wonderful examples I see on MMM. Your piece is another one to inspire.

Kris Dickinson said...

What a lovely, elegant hanger!

Lori Saul said...

Wonderful assemblage- what great keys -has such a 'mysterious antiquities' feel to it- beautiful work Kristin!

Unknown said...

Very beautiful...smiles

My Creative House said...

Kristin your hanger is very beautiful, love the fabric and the keys.

johanna said...

wonderful piece, kristin! very unique!

Michelle said...

That it stunning! Well done!

WrightStuff said...

I just love old keys, I've got one I've been hanging onto waiting for inspiration. This is so perfect and makes a wonderful display. I wonder what mysterious old doors those keys unlock??

indybev said...

What a unique and creative "take" on the challenge! Old keys hold a fascination for me as well, and what you've done is lovely!

Lynn Stevens said...

Hi Kristin , Congrats you have won second place in my OWOH giveaway. please email me your top two choices and your snail mail address to
minpinsloveme@msn.com
thanks for playing Lynn Stevens
http://trashtotreasureart.blogspot.com

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh wow, this is beautiful--I love the keys!!! I bet you couldn't wait to use them--they're so beautiful and vintage and the whole piece is awesome!

Nicola said...

Hi Kristin, this is a wonderful piece, very creative and I love the vintage look :0)

Peggi Meyer Graminski said...

This is fantastic - beautifully done! xo

Unknown said...

oh la la!! this is wonderful...what a beautiful piece Kristin!!!

kate blue said...

gorgeous!!!

Yvonne said...

Great idea, absolutly gorgeous.

Amy said...

this is very gorgeous!! I really LOVE IT..You have a creative eye!

phoebe said...

Love the rusty elements along with the damask papers on the card--they complement each other quite nicely.