Monday, August 8, 2011

The Summer of Color - Show & Tell

"The Summer of Color"
Altered Journal Folder, 2011

"He who wishes to become a master of color must see, feel and experience each individual color in it's endless combinations with all other colors."
- Johannes Itten


Orange you glad you did it? 
I had to. . . Please allow me to start by saying that the Orange pieces you shared with us last week were simply beautiful. Your art was bright, bold and full of life. Thank you for your time, energy and enthusiasm as we traveled through the last leg of our color journey together. It has been such a pleasure. 

And since we start every week with a Giveaway Winner . . .
Let's not stop now. The winner of the Orange goodies (pictured in the post below) is:


Please Email me your address and I'll get the goods right out. 

And Now: A little Show & Tell!
On this - our last week of The Summer of Color together - I love it if you'd give us a little show. . . Wether you joined in every color prompt or not, this week's challenge is to somehow bring it all together and show us what you accomplished throughout the Summer. You can create an altered journal cover or folder as I've done here, make something to put your ATC or smaller projects in or, if you've done a variety of projects, simply showcase your work on a wall, a slideshow on your blog or a series of photographs. However you'd like to share your work is up to you. This will be our final adieu to our colorful Summer of connection and community together. . .

As for Me . . .
I created an altered journal folder using the cardboard backs of two watercolor paper pads and canvas fabric. If you're interested, I'll be sharing an online album on our Facebook page showing the process step-by-step. If you haven't done so already, please feel free to join the group anytime. The rest of my Summer "Arting" can be found below:


You're Next! (Monday August 8th - Sunday August 14th)
I'm really looking forward to seeing what you've done! And for your efforts, our last (very sparkly and colorful ;) giveaway for those who complete the "Show & Tell" challenge will be . . .

{A 24 piece set of (the oh so gorgeous) Martha Stewart fine glitters, a 12 piece set of Prismacolor professional colored pencils, an EK Success Rainbow Color Selector and a hefty sprinkling of colorful Swarovski flat-back crystals and beads.}

Good Luck! And please note: since there is no Bonus! challenge this week, the random winner will come directly off of the link list. Please put your name in the hat by linking your "Show & Tell" post or Flickr feed in the widget below. The winner will be announced here next Monday.


Please Allow Me to Thank . . .
Believe it or not, we had an average of 92 people join us on a weekly basis for our color prompts and have amassed over 460 pictures in our Flickr pool! It was an amazing Summer and I would be remiss if I did not thank some of the special people who helped to make The Summer of Color such a success. Thank you Leslie for being my original sounding board when I questioned wether or not this event I had in my head really had any merit. She shared with me her insights from hosting past events and helped me spread the word before it began. Thank you Leslie for all of your support. Thank you Trisha for starting our Facebook group, without which this event would not have been the same. The community and connection we all created there took The Summer of Color to another level altogether. Thank you Trisha for being an amazing cheerleader and pillar of support. I am so grateful for your help. And last (but not - well you know), thank you Michelle for bringing a little class up in here. She is the creative genius behind all of The Summer of Color advertising, banner displays and of course that beautiful button. Not only did she create my blog background and header, but she is always willing to take an idea and make it better than anything I could have dreamed of. Thank you Michelle for everything you did to make the event so beautiful! 

Speaking of Beautiful . . .
Michelle made something for you! As a token of our thanks for all that you did this Summer, please feel free to copy and paste this "I'm A Summer of Color Artist" badge and do with it what you will. I hope you'll love it as much as we do . . .



So Now What?
I know. I miss it already too. Well, since you asked, our Facebook group is going to remain open. You have created such a beautiful community there, that I wouldn't even think of changing it. I will check in periodically to see what you're up to and am looking forward to continuing our endless Summer together there. I will leave our Flickr pool open for another week before putting it to bed. If you'd like to contribute your work to our Flickr page, please feel free to do so until next Sunday, August 14th. After that, I will continue to have both the Facebook and Flickr links up on my sidebar so you can peruse the colorful art at any time. Also (deep breath), I want to encourage you to submit your work for consideration to Stampington & Company (the makers of Somerset Studio). It's not for nothin' that our last Bonus! challenge was to include your favorite quote - it also happens to be one of the next calls for artwork (deadline: October 15th) for publishing consideration. If you have always wanted to submit your work and have not done so, now is the time. Go out there and make us proud! And then tell us about your success on our Facebook page . . . 

Oh! And One More Thing!
(Did you see it already?) It was hard to keep a straight face as you all were asking if this was going to be it . . . And No. It. Is. Not. Drumroll please as I eagerly announce . . . 

The Summer of Color 2: Ice Cream Inspirations 


That's right! Another Summer of creativity, connection and community based upon the colorful hues, feelings and textures found in your favorite Ice Cream flavors. As with this year, it will be a free event open to all styles of art and mediums. We will begin Monday, June 4th, 2012 with an introductory week followed by six weeks of color prompts, blog hops and giveaways based upon the Summer essential itself. I can picture it now . . . the rich textures and earthy colors of Rocky Road, the sticky sweetness of Raspberry Sorbet or the child-like art that comes to mind with Bubble Gum Ice Cream . . . Oh! How 'bout . . .

Stay Tuned!

Kristin xo

47 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

Now we have to wait a whole year for icecream? It has been a fun time for all of us, and I will continue starting my week with painting! Thanks for organising it all! Hugs, Valerie

Å olanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Thank you Kristin for these wonderful 10 weeks. It was fun and I will miss you all. :)

Jenny said...

Kristin, thank you for this wonderful color challenge... it really has been soooo much fun... and I am thrilled to see it is going to continue :)) I love your altered journal cover and can't wait to see everyone's body of work from the past ten weeks...

Jenny x

linda (dots n doodles) said...

Thank you Kristin for hosting these 10 weeks of pure fun. Ice Cream flavours, another super idea. I will be signing up for that next year.

Mandy said...

your cover is wonderful kristin...thank you from the bottom of my heart,,,this has been amazing for me and I can't believe I have to wait another year for another event...lol..i know its been alot of worrk for you,,,i think everyone who has participated has had a wow of a ride and i think you are to be so very proud....thank you thank you thank you...and that prize..wow...you are so very generous...I am wonderingt is an aussie can submit...lol..i wouldn't know where to begin to be honest...thanks my friend, you are a constant inspiration...xxx

Lesley Edmonds said...

Ooo what a fabulous idea for next year Kristin. I will look forward to taking part next June.
In the mean time - thank you so much for this summer of colour. I have enjoyed it so much and have met so many wonderfully talented people. I would never have known they were there if it hadn't been for you. So thank you VERY much for hosting this summer's event.
xx

MISS PEACH ~(^.^)~ said...

this has been brilliant fun all summer and I look forward to the ice cremem party next year!
Sending you colorful soap bubbles your way....Karla

Pippa (pjbear) said...

Thank you Kristin for an amazing 10 weeks, I've loved every minute of it, can't wait for June 4th 2012 <3

WrightStuff said...

Thank you so much Kristin for such a wonderful community to share our art in. It has been a real pleasure to be here.
Big hugs
xx

Fars Datter said...

Thank you-thank you so much for hosting this event, Kristin! It has been so much fun! :-)) Maybe, probably, most likely,...and so forth.... I will be participating next summer too! Sounds like fun! Ice Cream-colors! Yummy! And by then I believe that my "art journaling" will have developed a little bit more in the direction I actually want it! *lol*
Hug from Elisabeth in Norway :-))

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

I enjoyed watching the video of your work. What a lovely collection of collages you made during the summer! The altered folder you made is beautiful - love the colors and tactile elements you added to it. Thank you so much for hosting the event!

This has given me the jump-started I needed to continue crafting into fall. With my caregiving responsibilities increasing for my father (who is in the late stages of Alzheimer's Disease), The Summer of Color has reminded me of the importance of taking the time for oneself and remaining creative...despite feeling overwhelmed.

Having art be a part of my summer has helped me get through some of the more challenging days. Thank you.

Diane said...

Oh--so much fun Kristin, and inspiration--thank you SO much for all of this, and I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your creative art on your blog.
P.S. I'm so happy to hear that there will be a Summer of Color 2
YAY!
:)

Sharon said...

You did an amazing job with this!! I can't wait for June 2012!!!!!

Cynthia Schelzig said...

Ice Cream...heck we all scream for it don´t we!!! Thanks for a colorful summer ...as you can see by what I have been working on all summer long and still in progress...as the Xmas Art Markets are ONLY THREEEEE months away...omg,,,help!!! Have a wonderful rest of your summer Kristin......

joanna said...

Hi Kristin! I didn't have time to do this show and tell part, but I wanted to thank you again for the beautiful job you did with hosting!! hugs to little Kendra xoxo

Joanna said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate summer, than to celebrate it with colour! I too am sad to see it end...I'm going to have to check out the fb group, sounds exciting! And...I'll be sure to continue you on your journey full of colour & art!!

Jeanie Callaghan said...

This has been great fun and very challenging. I will definitely participate in Summer of Color 2. It sounds yummy! Thank you, Kristin, for hosting this wonderful event.

Jeanie Callaghan

scrapwordsmom said...

Kristin I am soooo very, very proud of YOU! This has been a wonderful creative challenge. I have enjoyed seeing your work and watching you grow as well as enjoying all the participants lovely work.

I ended up doing only 3 of the challenges but I have started looking at color in a whole new way thanks to what I've seen here!!

So happy to call you friend.

Love,
Leslie

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you, Kristin! If it weren't for you, I don't think I would have made creating a priority, this busy summer. And for that, I am eternally grateful! Thank you for all of the time, energy, and work you put into this, as well as the incredible gifts of prizes and inspiration. You are a treasure indeed, and I am glad we've met. ~Kathy

Netty said...

Huge thanks for giving us such a fun time, it is appreciated I know by everyone. See you for the icecream colours.........hugs Annette x

Lesley said...

Thank you Kristin and your TEAM for organizing a fun and very inspirational challenge. You know a year isn't really that far off, time sure passes quickly anymore. I have met some new blogger friends thanks to you.
Can't wait for next year.
Take care, Lesley xo

Sandi McLean said...

Thank you Kristin for hosting a fabulous challenge! I know we will all be here next year - so get ready for the participation to double/triple or ? And thank you for the badge - LOVE it! The inspiration and encouragement from you and so many others, well enough can't be said about that. Your generous spirit has touched us each week. What more can we be than generous with each other.

sugar Creek said...

Sending you some big hugs! This was a wonderful journey for everyone I think!
Oh I can't wait till next year!! It all sounds so "Yummy"!!

Joyce said...

This was so wonderful! I will definitely be back for next summer's adventure.

Sarah said...

I'm so pleased that this isn't the end of the Summer of Colour as I've had an amazing time.

Can't thank you enough for doing this for us.

Congrats to all the winners and wow, have I got a lot of inspiration from you all too.

I've just linked to my show and tell, plus it's in Flickr xxx

Wildflowerhouse said...

Hi Kristin, This has been a fast ten weeks and oh so much fun. Thank you so much for all the hard work it took to put this all together. I hope to join in next year! I have linked my show and tell. Til we meet again! Sharon

Anita Van Hal said...

OMG...I can't wait until next summer! Ice cream is my favorite food group! I posted my slideshow for this week's prompt and totally missed doing the quote...I'll see if I can go back and redo it...but here is the blog...

http://www.anitavanhal.com

Thanks for much for doing this Kristin...it was a blast!

Createology said...

I have truly enjoyed the colors and artwork shown on some blogs I follow. Now I am following you- the source and hoping to participate in next year's challenge...ice cream is my food of choice! Sunshine Summer Smiles...

Daniele Valois said...

oh my goodness, I cannot wait for next summer. It will be interesting to see how styles evolve over the year. ...I loved being a part of this. Thanks you sooo soooo sooo much! My post is up, and I will visit you often. ...and I did see your Diet Coke comment, you silly girl! hehe!

Rossylalah said...

I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! Sorry I just couldn't help myself LOL! I didn't participate this year Kristin but most definately will for the next. I was in awe of the creations that were put up and I'm sure I will draw inspiration from them for a long time. Thank you.

Mixed Media/ Altered Crafts said...

Kristin! So Sad For The Summer Of Color To End!! Looking Forward To Summer Of Color 2!! Hugs,Tee

Unknown said...

Thank you Kristin for hosting. I looking forward to next year.

Alis Clair said...

What a wonderful, wonderful, summer this has been. The words thank you are just not enough for the feeling you have given me.
I have loved creating and seeing others creations. You have been an inspiration to us all.

Oooh and next year - I can't wait. I love ice cream ;0)
Sending very big hugs xxxxx

JessiVille said...

Kristin, Thank you for a wonderful summer of play! This challenge was beautifully organised and presented. I do admit it was a bit too much for me right now with my responsibilities but I really did enjoy participating. I will not be presenting my folder as I am unable to dedicate the time right now. So thank you so much again - you are truly AWESOME!
Hugs, Jessi xox

JaN's ArTy JouRneY said...

Thank you soooo much for all the time, efort and generosity Kristin that you have put into this fabulous challenge, I have thoroughly enjoyed seeing everyones beautiful art work over the summer :)
Looking forward to sharing some ice-cream inspiration with you next summer :)
Jan x

Veronica Kosowski said...

Thank you so much for Summer of Color Kristin! These past 10 weeks have been nothing short of wonderful. Can't wait to do it all again next summer!

peggy gatto said...

count me in! I had fun creating and seeing the art!!

Kristin Aquariann said...

Great show and tell! Thanks again for hosting such a fun challenge. Next year's theme sounds even sweeter. ^.^

Unknown said...

Thank you for organising and hosting a superb summer event. It has been brilliant.
Looking for to next year already now.

Kathy said...

Thanks so much Kristin for a wonderfully inspired Summer of Color.. definitely looking forward to next years...yum... Ice Cream!! I saw so much beautiful art and met so many lovely peeps that I probably wouldn't have met if not for this challenge....Glad you're keeping it up so I can keep looking till I've seen it all.. my last page is up now..

Unknown said...

Thank you for hosting this, it has been great fun. Looking forward to next year.

Noemi said...

What an amazing experience! Thank you so much!! You rock!!
I hope you enjoy the new photographs.

Joanna said...

Dear Kristin, thank you so much for the fun and inspiration with your Summer of Colour. It has been an absolute joy to join in, and I have really enjoyed dropping in every week seeing your artwork, being inspired by your challenges, and visiting as many of the other bloggers as I possibly could. I'm so pleased you're running a similar event next year, wahoo!!

I am proudly displaying Michelle's lovely badge on my sidebar.

THANK YOU!!

xx

Unknown said...

Well I have to give you a BIG THANK YOU!! I had so much fun playing along.. I just wish I had found you sooner.. I can't wait to play next summer..

Hugs, Linda

Ella said...

I thought I posted; blogger has been acting up, again!
Thank you for so much fun; I am so glad I found you and pushed myself. I so enjoyed meeting so many talented people and being part of this amazing journey! I'm still playing catch up!
Thank you for being a wonderful, gracious hostess! YOU are sooo talented; I look forward to seeing you grace the pages of more Somerset Issues. ;D

Unknown said...

Ice Cream! Brilliant! Fun. Oh how fun! *smiles* Norma

Christine said...

I'm so looking forward to next summer. I had a real blast this time around. If you know of any other challenges please let me know. Thanks for everything!