Sunday, November 29, 2009

MMM: Bedtime Stories

"Mother Goose"
11 x 14 Stretched Canvas
Oh, how I love this week's Mixed Media Monday prompt; Bedtime Stories! Even though I try not to (I aim for variety), I find that images of children and/or pieces of children's literature somehow sneak into most of the pieces that I create. I am especially drawn to vintage fairy tales and nursery rhymes, so I really jumped at the chance to play with a vintage book of Mother Goose that I have for this challenge.
I started with an image of two children -and their dog- that was beautifully painted by artist Jessie Willcox Smith (1863-1935). She started her career as a kindergarten teacher and later studied under Howard Pyle. She "worked most comfortably with the charcoal line, often adding watercolor washes and occasionally varnishing over the drawing to add highlights in oil." (T.J. Whitneys' Traditional Toys).
If the style looks familiar, the central image of the little girl on my blog header was also done by her, and used in an altered book I created last year. I hope to give the above piece (a tiny bit of) justice by incorporating it into a collage of acrylic paint, Mother Goose rhymes and illustrations, decorative paper, beeswax, Swarovski crystals (as "stars") and silk ribbon. The idea being that in a book, the whole world is available to you (and your imagination). . .
Thanks for checking it out! To see more pieces on Bedtime Stories (can't wait to see myself!), please log on to www.MixedMediaMonday.Wordpress.com.

15 comments:

Nicola said...

Wow what a lovely piece, the colours are gorgeous very subtle but work so well. Such a lovely idea behind the meaning of this piece too, anything is possible in a book it is very magical and you have captured this beautifully!! Thank you so much for your lovely comments on my blog it made my day when I read them. :0)

Amy said...

I can see why you chose that image..it is the sweetest..love the children and their pup!!! You do wonderful piece's to adore.

indybev said...

I loved your comments, and your art piece is so well done. Thank you for sharing.

Yvonne said...

This is just too perfect, Kristin! The theme matches your blog banner as well.

Faye said...

Wow, this is beautiful! What a gorgeous canvas and blog header!

K said...

great canvas!

Sandy said...

Wow this is gorgeous.
Fantastic work and design. Love them.

Unknown said...

Hi Kristin!!! what a wonderful piece...it is precious...you really bring out something special in all of us with you work....I really love it!!!

Diane said...

This is a wonderful, magical feeling piece, Kristin! Diane

johanna said...

wonderfully done! the concentrated face of the dog, oh my... adorable!

Martina said...

This is very impressive.!
Stunning work. Love your creation.

Anne (cornucopia) said...

This is beautiful!

peggy gatto said...

Address please for your tag I am sending!
thanks so much!
Promise I will write it down!!!!

Beth said...

This is wonderful. I think it is so very sweet.

Nicola said...

Hi Kristin, just wanted to let you know that there is an award for you on my blog!!xx