Sunday, November 1, 2009

MMM: Opposites Attract

Come Fly with Me
8 x 8 "Kite"


Detail of "Opposites"
I would love to take full credit for the idea behind this week's piece for Mixed Media Monday, but it was actually my husband who suggested that the childhood project of putting paint on one side of a piece of paper before folding it over to create it's opposite (I'm sure there's a technical term for this) would make an interesting twist on the theme, "Opposites Attract."
Inspired by his creativity, I got to work on creating what turned out to be this 8 x 8 "kite." I used acrylic on watercolor paper that was sprinkled with glitter before being adhered to a piece of chipboard. The kite was then formed with strips of sequins and a Swarovski crystal in the center. I added the craft store butterfly to the kite strings after doing similar mirroring on it's wings with a stamps dipped in paint and glitter.
Thank you for looking! To see more pieces on Opposites Attract, please check out www.MixedMediaMonday.Wordpress.com.

13 comments:

Willy said...

Fabulous piece and idea, Kristin!

Diane said...

Ah, Kristin! What a clever pair you and your hubby make! Wonderful idea, and perfectly executed! Diane

indybev said...

What a delicately feminine piece you've created. I'll bet it hangs in you-know-who's room!

peggy gatto said...

Just so pretty!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Kristin!!! this is brilliant!!! what a fun and wonderful piece...and your husband is so clever!!!

Amy said...

I loved looking up close..the glitter is fabulous and I adore the butterfly..your hubby is clever..what a sweet guy!

Hermine said...

Lovely idea!

ellie said...

this is so sweet!

Effie said...

Gosh... haven't done that since I was a child! great idea and lovely colours

AliMayes said...

You have one clever husband and I love the kite!

*jean* said...

ooo this is wonderful!

Barbara Hagerty said...

I love this very clever idea, and the image and colors are beautiful!

Nicola said...

Wow beautiful work, you are such an orginal artist!!! Love it!