Wednesday, November 21, 2012

From "Artist" to Etsy: A Resolution Kept . . .


"You miss 100% of the shots you never take." 
- Wayne Gretzy

You know, if you asked me three years ago if I would have ever (ever, ever, ever) considered myself an "Artist," I would have laughed out loud. A Makeup Artist - yes - but a real artist?! Um, no. Not even a little bit. And yet, here I am. A Mother, Blogger and yeah, an Artist. 

I mean, Art - creating it, studying it, dreaming about it - is my complete passion. Like many of us in this creative Blog Land, I feel lucky to have even found it. I could have gone my whole life not knowing that this joy existed. Not knowing that through creating art - and sharing it with others - I could actually change my life in a profound way - and maybe, just maybe, bring joy to others in the process.  

I have learned in the last few years that creativity and community are the backbone of what we do here. That Bloggers are amazing, gracious people and that together, we can make a difference in our world. I recently completed a painting that I didn't love. (I didn't love it a lot). But what I did like is the concept behind it and the words I wrote to accompany it: 

I love Us. We are talented, generous and Real. And our Art - that intangible bit of fabulousness we create - allows us to blanket the world with Joy. Yeah, Us.

Even though the painting was a major fail, the words that came from it have inspired me to take the next step in my creative journey, one that I have been threatening to do since the beginning of the year. I am going legit.


I have just opened the first retail outlet for my art - an Etsy Shop. I've been biting my nails (and pulling out my hair!) for weeks now as I have catalogued, researched and prepared for the opening. I have put a lot of attention and energy into what to offer, trying to find the most unique items along the way. 


I listened to those who said they wanted to find kits like those I offered for The Summer of Color. So I created several - all bundled together in vintage themed packs (I even have some for Christmas for those who want to journal their way through the holidays) - and hope they'll bring inspiration to the artist and collector alike.


I listened to those who said that they loved my "Santa's Pooped" painting and work on canvas pillows, so I created one in response, my first ever original painting for sale:


I listened to those who asked if I had prints for sale, and selected some of my favorites to offer:


And lastly, I listened to the questions from non-bloggers as to where they can get a IPhone cover like the one I carry, so I had a few of those professionally printed as well:


I'm excited, nervous, anxious and relieved that it is all up and (now) running. I'm proud of myself for taking the risk and eager to learn from all of you how to really run in the Etsy circles . . . . AND, after being a SAHM for 6 years, I'm excited to start this new chapter in my life. Thank you for all of your support and encouragement to do so. . . . 

And for those in the States, I want to wish you Happy, Beautiful and Warm Thanksgiving. May it be full of all of the people and things you love.

Kristin xo

27 comments:

Daniele Valois said...

Xoxo

Carmen said...

Beautiful post. Congratulations :D

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

Congrats Kristin! Wishing you lots of sales and wonderful customers. :)) I love what you wrote about blogger community. Wonderful!

Debi said...

Congratulations! Bold Gal! you must do this, you must! I am still hiding under the bed, but I do admire those who "Just Do It!"
I will pop over and visit your shop! Happy Thanksgiving to you & yours...........♥Debi in Canada

K J D said...

Hoooray!!!!!!!!!!!!! It made me so happy to read your post.

Well done you...... how exciting :)

Happy Thanksgiving Kristin to you and yours

Karenxxxxxxxxx

Valerie-Jael said...

Happy Thanksgiving, and well done on getting started with Etsy - wish you luck! Valerie

Carin said...

Kristin, I seem to be congratulating you and singing your praises everywhere today, but I am so, so happy for you! Well done artsy mama! Good luck! xoxo

Unknown said...

I'm proud of you. I'm glad that you made the leap your art is precious and beautiful.

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

Hip hip hooray! I am dancing in twirly circles for you!!!!!! I am thrilled for you, Kristin! Love, ~ kath

Terri Corona said...

Yeah!!!! There's nothing like deciding to do something and then actually doing it - keeping a promise to yourself! I can't wait to check out your site - it sounds like you've really put a lot of time and thought into it, so you're off to a great start already.

bellefrogworks said...

How wonderful to have a vision and work to realize it! You are very talented and I wish you much success with your Etsy shop

Jenny said...

Gorgeous post Kristin... and congratulations... so happy for you... love all the deliciousness you have to offer... and you should be very proud... your work is stunning...

Jenny ♥

Christine said...

Congrats and best of luck with your new venture! It does take courage.

denthe said...

Wow Kristin, beautiful shop! Love the different products. You're right, it's great to have this community of artistic bloggers encouraging you to do things you never thought possible. I am so happy that I started a blog this year, can't believe all the generous encouraging people I have "met" since. I want to open an Etsy-shop too, but still didn't find the cpourage (or time) to work my way through all the preparations ....

Giggles said...

Congratulations dear lady!!! I am so happy you found your artist within!! I was 47 before my first attempt although I did many creative things before that! I was probably 50 before I said the word artist in reference to myself. I can't tell you how happy it makes me feel to see you discover your talent sooner, than later!! You are a fantastic artist!! You go girl...so proud of your tenacity!! Congratulations on your new shop!
I'm Canadian so I've done Thanksgiving...but a happy one to you if you celebrate!

Hugs Giggles

Michellem said...

You are an amazing and inspiring artist!! Congrats on embracing the moniker!!

Tori B. said...

Congratulations and best wishes on the store! So happy you are celebrating the artist in you.

aimee said...

Kristin... this is so exciting!! I went through such a similar process... it is so much fun to make the leap. my email is artsyville@gmail.com -- if there are any specific questions or anything I can tell you that might help you out at all, please let me know! I'm still (always) learning but I am so happy to share what I've learned along the way!

Kyra Wilson said...

Congrats on opening your shop! Etsy is sorta new to me (selling on it) too, but it's pretty straight forward. I sell most of my work through my own website, but I have branched out there too, and it was good! :)

Kathianne said...

Hi there Kristin,
I just found your blog and it is a nice spot of colorful happy here on the web. I wanted to read about your adoption story ( I too am a mama via adoption) but couldn't seem to find a search button or adoption writing. Can you point me to a post? Thanks!! Kathianne

Jen @Sadie Inspired said...

I am SO proud of you!! :) Your shop looks amazing and your work gorgeous. So much thought and care went into creating your ETSY shop! I know if will be a success because you are so super talented and your heart shows through in all you do. Congrats!!! xo

Erin K said...

Yeahhhh! Oh congrats on opening your first Etsy shop! I wish you so many sales. ^_^ Your shop looks amazing! So awesome. xoxox

Joanna said...

I thought I'd commented here - but only in my imagination, it would appear!!

Congratulations on your beautiful Etsy shop, wishing you many sales and many happy customers!

xx

joanna said...

Congrats, Kristin!! I went to visit your shop and love everything! Heres to great success with your gorgeous art :))
xoxo

Cameron said...

Yay! I'm so proud of you, too!
Beautiful banner and fun items....just don't forget to fill out your shop policies. You are welcome to cut and paste anything from mine you like. They can be so tedious to write :)

Best wishes, Hot Artsy Shop Owning Mama!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on opening the shop!!! Best of luck! Kristin (the OTHER one)

Anonymous said...

You made some decent points there. I looked on the internet for the issue and found most individuals will go along with with your website.


[url=http://cheapjordans2013.my-board.org/]jordan shoes[/url]


[url=http://jerseys2015.mydiscussion.net/]Raiders Jersey[/url]