Friday, January 24, 2014

Surfaces Reveal So Much . . .

"Surfaces reveal so much. The marks painters make reveal so much about their work and themselves; their sense of proportion, line and rhythm is more telling than their signature. Looking at the surfaces of nature may offer equivalent revelations. What do these shapes and patterns reveal about the world and their creator? Surfaces hide so much. . . ."
-- John Paul Caponigro


I learned a lot this week. Still playing in my journal; still learning through the action of doing. Well, this week's doing did not come easy. I sat with this page for days, adding more each time, but never really coming up with a "finished" result. Every time I started to add a figure or image, I found myself wanting to cover it up. I bet I spent more time on the elements that I eventually hid than on the stuff that stayed. I kept reminding myself that it is a process, and just kept adding more. More texture, more molding paste, more paint. Until I looked up and realized that it is finished as it is. And that all of the "mistakes" served a purpose. Texture, color and um, more texture. I love that.

"Breathe" in the beginning stages.

Washi covered in crayons & Oil Pastels

Look at all that texture the "mistakes" revealed

Oh! And I'm also working on this:

(To be continued)

Thanks for Peeking! Looking forward to seeing your surfaces this week. . . .

Kristin xo

22 comments:

Janet Ghio said...

love that orange and red

Linda Kunsman said...

I am loving all the layers and the colors you're working with -both on the page and on the canvases Kristin! Great way to brighten any winter day :)

Valerie-Jael said...

Great colours and textures! Hugs, Valerie

Unknown said...

Oh wow!! Your surfaces are amazing! So rich! Beautiful!!

Christine said...

lovely work Kristin!

Unknown said...

Hello Kristin!!! I feel like I haven't seen you in ages!!!! love your new paintings!!! Wishing you a warm and cozy and Happy PPF!!!

Maria Medeiros said...

How exciting! Wonderful!

Netty said...

Great textures and colours Kristin, have a great weekend. Happy PPF, Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

Alex said...

Oh wow, Kristin, I love all the layers you put on that painting. And the colours are so vibrant! Beautiful. The little canvases are also brilliant, I love the colours.

Terri Corona said...

I'm so impressed with your patience and willingness to just work through it til you were happy - I often lack that patience. But it sure paid off, I want to just rub my hands over it!

And I bet I know what you're doing with those multiple canvases! Love your palette.

Beverley Baird said...

Love all those juicy layers! So much colour and texture!

Rita said...

I love those colors and the little musical notes are so cute! Very nice work! And thanks for your kind words on my blog last week, I really appreciate it!

Giggles said...

Gorgeous color and texture combination!! I love it! Glad you are playing with surfaces....I have been too only after all the work I cover them up!!

Hugs Giggles

Sharon Fritchman said...

Ooooooh Kristen! I love seeing what you have been working on. WOWZA! They are so amazing and absolutely awesome. I can't wait to see what you come up with. And thank you so much for sharing your creativity with all of us!

DVArtist said...

Wonderful colors. I really like how you placed the musical notes. Very keen.
Nicole/Beadwright

Arnoldo L. Romero, MLA said...

I love your dramatic use of color. Happy belated PPF!

denthe said...

That texture looks great, and the new canvases are making me curious ..... ;-)

Carmen said...

Oooooh! As usual such gorgeous textures and colours. I think quite a lot of us don't know when to stop ;) Loving watching your new tinkerings.

Unknown said...

Nice. I like all the visual textures gong on.

Unknown said...

I love your surfaces. Full of color and texture, just like I love. Thanks for sharing.

Natasha said...

Really love that quote. I just wrote it down. Funny i have an ongoing spread that I add bits to periodically trying to finish it but none of it really works. Maybe it is finished as it is. And the story of the individual parts is the story of the page.

CCTVINSTALLATION said...

security camera in chennai

esync security as No.1 and reputed cctv Camera dealers in chennai Offer best services http://esyncsecurity.com/ had done cctv camera manufacturers, cctv camera suppliers, cctv camera producers,camera exporters,closed circuit Television camera,cctv cam,closed circuit television cam production centers. To know cctv camera price in chennai call us@ 7299004295.