Friday, February 7, 2014

My Love Affair with Blues & Greens. . .

"You put down one color and it calls for an answer. You have to look at it like a melody."
-- Romare Bearden 

It's PPF!

And, after a 3-week love affair with blues & greens, I am finally done with the series of five canvases I've been teasing you about for a while now. I've always wanted to create a group of paintings in the same palette and am happy to say that I can now cross that one off my list. Although, being the color lover that I am, this may have inspired me to do more of the same. I loved working on multiple pieces at once and found a certain freedom in using limited materials. Here's a quick shot of the supplies I've been playing with for the better part of a month:


For me, the real challenge came in trying to figure out how to tie all the pieces together to make a cohesive whole. The answer came when a bit of text from a vintage Beatrix Potter book found it's way onto my first canvas. It read, "He Peeps" and was rather ominous. Since I had already glued it down, I knew that there was no going back. So, I found more bits of text and the story grew from there. The original tale was about a cat - Miss Moppet - and the mouse that she could never quite capture. In my version Miss Moppet is a rather quirky girl, but because my Mom's nickname for me has always been "Mouse" (and she calls Kendra "The Littlest Mouse" ;) that stayed the same. I even found inspiration for creating the mouse (my first) from the original illustrations. Anyway, here it is in it's entirety: with more pictures than I should really post. But, um, I did say it took me weeks, right? So here goes:

"He Spies"

"He Peeps Out"

"Miss Moppet"

"The Mouse"

"But She's Too Late!"

Did you say you wanted to see more? Yes, I thought I heard that. Okay then:






Whew! We made it. Thanks for taking a peep. Now on to the next color. Hmmm, I think I'm feeling some pinks and yellows coming on. Or maybe pink and orange. Or, maybe. . . . 


Kristin xo

31 comments:

Createology said...

I adore these Caribbean colors and your series of five canvases. Well done. Creative Bliss...

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful set of canvases, love those colours, too. Valerie

linda (dots n doodles) said...

These are all gorgeous and I love them! That big eye really intreagues me though.

Janet Ghio said...

This series is just great and i love your color choices!

Christine said...

This is a really beautiful and creative set!

Giggles said...

Well worth the wait! What a wonderful cohesive series...UNIQUE, GORGEOUS, and beautifully colorful! I love how this came together...how sweet it is! I think it would be amazing in a childs room...or down a hall way! Well done my dear!! It's like no other...and I do love those colors together too! LOVE IT!!

Hugs Giggles

ann @ Whimsyville said...

These are fabulous - so much texture and my favorites color study. I love that they tell a story !
Just wonderful to look at - i see something new every look !

ann @ Whimsyville said...

These are fabulous - so much texture and my favorites color study. I love that they tell a story !
Just wonderful to look at - i see something new every look !

ann @ Whimsyville said...

These are fabulous - so much texture and my favorites color study. I love that they tell a story !
Just wonderful to look at - i see something new every look !

ann @ Whimsyville said...

These are fabulous - so much texture and my favorites color study. I love that they tell a story !
Just wonderful to look at - i see something new every look !

Linda Kunsman said...

Brilliant canvas series Kristin!!! I do love this color combo. Your illustrations are fantastic too-love that mouse! Thanks for sharing all your wonderful pics of them. Looking forward to your next series-pink and?

Annabelle said...

Gorgeous colour combos, very vibrant and happy. Gotta luv the mouse!

Annabelle : )

K J D said...

Such a gorgeous project Kristin.

The mouse is so cute and I just love the colours.

Karen x

Netty said...

Wonderful collection of canvases Kristin and such fab colours. My favourite has to be the mouse, so totally adorable. Happy PPF, Annette x

http://nettysartadventures.blogspot.co.uk/

Mary Brack said...

These are the colors I always gravitate to as well. Kristin!

Cindy D. said...

Fantastic! I love the bald girl, the eye, the mouse! Wonderful bright color. I am a fan of blue and green also. :)

Michellem said...

I'm in love with your love affair with color!! Great job - really enjoy how you tied all the canvases together with not only color but a cohesive storyline as well!

Kooky Makes said...

Oh how lovely this series is. Your illustrative style really suits this fun theme and your mouse is wonderful.

Tracy said...

I just want to dive in to those gorgeous colours - like a tropical sea.

Maria Medeiros said...

Wow! Soooo lovely!! Fun and bright! Makes me happy!

artfullycarin@gmail.com said...

Oh yes! These are so lovely Kristin! I absolutely adore them hun! xoxo

Terri Corona said...

These turned out so great! They're each precious on their own, but as a whole they just become something so much more! Will they end up Kendra's room? And I know I already told you how much I love "He Spies", but now I'm totally in love with that mouse!

Deepa Gopal said...

WOW! SO much creativity!!!! Heaps of it...loved each piece esp 'He Spies'... love the play of colours here...and it was great to see those supplies...it's inspiring!
HPPF!
Deepa
http://deepazworld.blogspot.in/

Nordljus said...

I absolutely love this combination of colours. It looks so beautifully fresh. And what a great series. They make great individual pieces, and together, a wonderful story.

scrapwordsmom said...

Kristin...your artwork is always SO FUN and QUIRKY!! I love it!! And those colors are some of my very favorite:) Keep creating and sharing...you inspire me so much!!!

Leslie

Unknown said...

I like where your obsession took you. it is very clever how you let a color lead your creativity. I cannot wait to see where you are going.

Carmen said...

No matter what colours you use they are always so zingy! I love the decorated edges of your canvasses :) Personally loved all the pictures. More please!

Linda said...

Very creative and beautiful. I love the colours!

JKW said...

I love the colors and the figures (hers and Mouse). This is an enchanting story. I can tell it was a lot of work and you had so much fun with it all. Blessings, Janet, PPF

Anonymous said...

I have to say - LOVE the mouse!!!

Natasha said...

Clever way of working tgem together. A series like a proper artist no less!! That is on my to-do list as well.