Sunday, January 9, 2011

SPA: Hobbies & Pastimes


"She Liked to Play with Glitter"
6 X 4 corrugated cardboard

This week's theme for Sunday Postcard Art is Hobbies or Pastimes. I thought I'd have a go at the challenge (I'm a newbie to SPA) and create a girlie-girl whose hobby is to play with glitter (It's a stretch, I know) . . .

This piece was created on a 6 x 4 cutout of corrugated cardboard which was ripped, gessoed and washed with iridescent glitter and pale pink water-soluble wax pastels. The edges were further distressed with the back of a knife and then stamped with a swirl stamp before adding (silver Stickles) glitter. The girl was made on watercolor paper with acrylics, gel pens and Caran d'Ache crayons before being cut out and added to the background. Her paint pallet is comprised of globs of glitter. Final touches include more Stickles glitter on the dress and a dot on the whites of her eyes.

Thanks for looking! I look forward to seeing what everyone else does this week. . .

Kristin xo

18 comments:

Femmy said...

gorgeous postcard!

JessiVille said...

Kristin, she is fab-u-lous! You can never use too much glitter in my opinion! Ha! I love the distressed background, the colors, the glitter -a beautiful blend.

Joyce said...

So cute! I love the combination of distressed rustic substrate with the girly girl art.

Mandy Chilvers said...

this is stunning... im SO glad to see you over at spa Kristin... you are one of my fave artistes!

Judy said...

Beautiful art, Kristin, thanks for sharing your process!

bluegiraffe (Sherry) said...

Welcome! This is adorable. I love the face you've created- so sweet. Keep on glittering!

Nicola said...

Ohhhh she is gorgeous Kristin!!! I really love hearing about how you create your pieces it really makes me want to get back into mixed media and try a whole range of new things!!!! So much art to try but so little time, hehehe.

Your drawing and painting is really evolving into your own unique style I love pretty girly stuff and this is a sweet piece Love it!

Have a great week my friend! :0)
xx

Mandy said...

bling!!!!!so pretty....xxx

Flor Larios Art said...

You did a great job! Very cute!

Cindy McMath said...

lovely Kristin! She and I share an affection for all that glitters!

Cindy :)

K J D said...

I love that you worked on corrugated cardboard! What a great idea. This is such a pretty piece, so glittery and sweet.

Karenx

scrapwordsmom said...

Oh, Kristin...your little girl is darling!

anne said...

Great Postcard

scrapwordsmom said...

Kristin...you are such a bright spot in my day when you comment on my blog!! Thank you for your sweet and very genuine words. I appreciate them so very much.

I can't imagine that you have ever had a weight problem. I mean I see your profile pic and you are so pretty:)

Your work is so beautiful. I aspire to be like you in many ways.

Thanks for the kind words always...

Love,
Leslie

Martina said...

Love your piece and that image is just adorable!

Heather Foust said...

Ahhhh what a cute little girl!

Tahnya Marie said...

She's so pretty and I love the effect of the cardboard!

E Makes Art said...

I love this!! Love the texture from the cardboard, and of course the glitter!! And I love her sweet face!

xoEsther