Wednesday, May 30, 2012

A Boy & His Guitar!

"Cam's Guitar"
12 x 12 Gallery-wrapped Canvas


My little friend Camden turned 5 yesterday. He loves guitars (we may have a future Rock Star in our midst) so it was no surprise that his Birthday Party invitations featured them. Now, I have - for every year of his life - made a scrapbook for he and his sister, who were each born on the same day, seven years apart (I know, right) for their special presents. 

Remember this one?

From Camden's Birthday Book, 2010

But this year, I decided to go another route and create something for them both that spoke about them and their passions. I hope they're a hit . . . here's my attempt for Camden:

Drawn freehand from an image on his invitation,
using the colors of his room for inspiration

Acrylic, Caran D'ache watercolor, oil pastels and fine glitter

Gallery-wrapped sides covered in distressed wallet-sized photos
from last year's birthday party.
{Giving credit to the hubby for this idea}

A smudge of oil pastels completes the look

Whew! One down, one to go (er, complete) . . . finger's crossed, I'll have his sister's special gift to share with you for PPF . . . .

Until then,
Kristin xo

16 comments:

Valerie-Jael said...

This is beautiful, what a wonderful keepsake for him and his family! Hugs, Valerie

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous composition, I love that you created something that he loves. That is always so joyous to do, bring something unique and connective for the other person.

Netty said...

This is so very special Kristin and a wonderful keepsake. x

Å olanje na domu-Waldorf said...

So cute! :) And I'd like to let you know that I got your giveaway painting today. I love it, it's fantastic! Thanks so much! :)

Magaly Guerrero said...

Adorable! I bet it will look great in his room ;-)

Carin said...

Kristin! What a wonderful and special project! I love that you used something he loves, adapted it to really fit him and personalised it with the small photos around the edges (clever hubby!) I hope he loves it!

Mandy said...

Yeah...this is great...the colours are amazing...and yay to hubby for the fantastic idea..it tops it off...oh i know about giving birth on the same day years apart...its very special...take care and good luck for the next piece...xxx

Unknown said...

Amazing!! Truly beautiful!!

Jenny said...

WOW Kristin... this is magical... love the gorgeous colors...AND the distressed photos around the edge of the canvas are FABULOUS... totally love that idea... such a beautiful gift... your guitar is awesome by the way... I am sure Cam is going to be impressed...

Hugs
Jenny x

Ileana said...

Beautiful work and creates a happy mood. I LOVE it!! So will he.

sugar Creek said...

Oh I love that guitar!! Love the colors you used and the photos down the side! He's a cutie! xx

Cameron said...

A bright and shiny guitar for a bright and shiny future!
....and Hubby had a great idea....those pics are great around the edge!!

Connie said...

I hope you got a photo of him when he opened his gift. What a perfect idea. Keep using your talent to make people happy . . . Thank you for sharing this and thank you for your very sweet visit and for becoming a follower. Connie :)

Daniele Valois said...

ADORBS!!! ADORBS ADORBS ADORBS!!!

K J D said...

I love it.... of course it's gonna be a hit!

Amazing birthday connection!

Karenx

GlorV1 said...

Wow, this is awesome. I must have missed this post. Sorry about that. Love what you have done here. thanks for sharing. I know he had a great birthday.