Monday, May 28, 2012

Ice Cream Facts & Trivia . . .

(Web source)
"Life is like an ice cream cone, you have to lick it one day at a time" 
-- Charles M. Schulz





As we continue to count down the days, I thought it would be fun to share a few facts about the star of our show: sweet, cool & colorful Ice Cream . . . . 


Did you know?

Ice cream was made available to the general public for the first time in France at a cafe in 1670.

In 1700 the delectable treat was historically documented as being enjoyed in America. This date was in a letter written by a guest of William Bladen, Maryland's governor at the time. However, Ice cream was enjoyed in the Far East and Europe for over a thousand years before the U.S. even existed. A popular legend is that, in the first century, a Roman emperor commanded his slaves to run up to the mountains to collect ice and snow. The flavored ices supposedly preceded the ice cream that we know and love today.

The first advertisement for ice cream appeared in the New York Gazette in 1777.

In 1904, a New York City ice cream seller is reported to have invented the cone. He ran out of serving cups, so he asked a nearby waffle vendor to make some thin waffles to wrap around his scoops of ice cream. He patented his cone idea and they were a big hit at the World's Fair the following year.

In the 1920's, immigrants that arrived at Ellis Island were given some food that was considered typically American. When given ice cream, many of them tried to spread it on bread - they thought it was frozen butter!

Americans consume the most ice cream in the world. According to the International Dairy Foods Association, each American consumes over 48 pints a year. Surprisingly, it is not the hot dry states that consume the most. Nebraska is the #1 state for eating the most ice cream every year.

The United States produces 800 million gallons of ice cream every year.

It takes 12 pounds of milk to make one gallon of ice cream.

98% of all households purchase ice cream. Children ages 2 -12 and adults aged 45 and over consume the most.

There is more ice cream sold on Sunday than any other day of the week.

The biggest ice cream sundae ever made was on July 24, 1988. It contained 20.27 tons of ice cream, 4.39 tons of syrup and 5.22 pounds of topping!

The average number of licks it takes to polish off on single scoop on an ice cream cone is about fifty.

{Information found from web searches and sources such as Happy Life Quotes}


Hungry for more? Check out all the SOC2 links below:



Kristin xo

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

yum!

Carolyn Dube said...

That is the best scoop of ice cream- those colors just make my soul happy! I never knew all this about ice cream- my kids would love to eat ice cream "buttered" bread! Any excuse for ice cream for breakfast...

Becky Dunham said...

Oh my Kristin - now I am really craving ice cream! Love all this trivia :) Cannot wait to get started next week- I better get my craft room in shape!!!

Harvest Moon by Hand said...

My daughter made a batch of homemade mint chocolate chip ice cream yesterday. Today she is adding tiny pieces of brownies and Andes mint chips to the ice cream. Can't wait to taste her final version later today with dinner!

Looking forward to the start of this year's Summer of Color! Had a lot of fun last year, and was so inspired by the creativity of those participating!!

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

Cookies-n-cream ice cream is my favorite! Thanks for the intrigue, Kristin!! Looking forward to Summer fun with YOU!

Valerie-Jael said...

Looking forward to my first ice-cream day! Hugs, Valerie

Janet said...

All I can say is YUM!!

Mandy said...

Lol.this is great....i never knew it took so much milk to make icecream...wow...tears why the fat content is high...heeheehee....ok...so looking forward to this up coming event....i have tiny little glass ikea frames i may take out my monet prints out of and put un mandy originals...i like the sound of that...hahaha...ok...better get off my butt...u am going to the art gallery today to see the archibald prize entries..yay me...xxx

scarlett clay said...

I can tell you that our family certainly contributes to the total American consumption of ice cream on a daily basis! :) lol! Thanks for hosting such a fun blog event again!

Cameron said...

I'm so glad it was invented! I can't imagine a world (or scorching Summer) without it!

scrapwordsmom said...

All this talk about ice cream makes me want some!! My fave flavor is chocolate chip!! Oh and butter pecan. Love it!

Fars Datter said...

Yummy! I can't wait to see what challenges you will be giving us! It'll be much fun! :)

Jenny said...

Delicious Kristin... I didn't know a lot of that... so thank you for sharing... and must tell you... we enjoyed our weekend ice cream treat... the sun was even peeking through... which made it seem even more lovely...

So looking forward to The Summer of Color... not long now :))

Hugs
Jenny x

Connie said...

Hi, what a delightful post. I feel very knowledgeable on the subject of ice cream now. I'm not here for the ice cream. I'm here for the art. You are a very talented lady. I Love, Love, Love your art, and don't know why it took me so long to find you. Stunningly superb!!! I am your newest follower. Please accept my warm and humble invitation to visit and hopefully to follow me, too. I would consider it an honor. Connie :)

Unknown said...

fun facts!

Anonymous said...

Very interesting facts. :) Thanks for such an informative post.