Sunday, May 13, 2012

Happy Mother's Day!

Kendra Ann, 6 


I got my Dolly when the leaves were falling
It was the end of September, you know
When this tiny gift was presented to me
To teach my heart to grow.

She was small and bright
And as I held her tight, 
I whispered into her ear:

"Don't worry, baby, I'll be your Mommy
I will love and protect you here
I will dress you and feed you and kiss you and need you
And in my heart, you will always be near."

The seasons changed
But my vow was the same
And as we grew together fast,
I remembered the day when she came to me
And I was a Mommy at last:

"Don't worry, baby, I am your Mommy
I will love and protect you here
I will dress you and feed you and kiss you and need you
And in my heart, you will always be near."

And now, look at her!
My darling little girl,
Tiny fingers holding on tight
A baby for Dolly, just presented to her
On her fifth birthday, tonight.

I watch them together and lean in close
As she rocks her baby with care
A small, sweet voice repeating with pride
The words I had hoped to hear:

"Don't worry, baby, I'll be your Mommy
I will love and protect you here
I will dress you and feed you and kiss you and need you
And in my heart, you will always be near."

-Kristin Van Valkenburgh 
(You can find the original post from August of 2010 here)


Wishing you and yours the happiest-ever Mother's Day,
Kristin xo 

21 comments:

K J D said...

What a beautiful fun photograph....

Have a wonderfully happy Mother's Day...

I love your poem

Karenx

Niky Sayers said...

Such a beautiful poem for such a beautiful little girl!

Fars Datter said...

Your dolly is the sweetest thing! And your poem just lovely! :)
Have a wonderful mothers day, Kristin!

Valerie-Jael said...

Beautiful post and photo of Kendra! Have a happy day, and enjoy your family. Hugs, Valerie

Diane said...

Beautiful poem Kristin!!
...have a wonderful Mother's Day!

Mandy said...

My gosh...i remember this.....have a wonderful day....i spent the morning with my eldest coffeeing and shopping for me...i spent the mid day with all my kids and the afternoon with my extended family...perfection...kendra is perfection.....enjoy my friend...xxx

Jenny said...

Soooo beautiful Kristin... Happy Mother's Day... and love that gorgeous photo of Kendra... enjoy my friend...

Hugs
Jenny x

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh this brought tears to my eyes, happy tears of course, beautiful,

Ella said...

I love the heartfelt beauty in your words!~ Really wonderful!
Happy Mother's Day to you @>-----
Kendra's photo is perfect; she is a living doll~

Kathryn Zbrzezny said...

To you and Kendra: Happy, beautiful Mother's Day!!

Daniele Valois said...

Awe!!! LOVE IT, LOVE YOU, LOVE KENDRA TOO! (see, I just rhymed!)

Happy Mothers Day!!!

xoxo

Janet said...

Love the sassy pink glasses and the little pink tongue! She's so cute. And your poem is beautiful.

Happy Mother's Day!!!

Unknown said...

This is an adorable poem and a wonderful reminder. I'm touched by your story and I'm glad that you have the opportunity to be a mom. Happy Mother's Day!

Netty said...

Beautiful poem and a beautiful daughter who brings you so much joy. x

mette laumann said...

beautiful beautiful girl!

Happy Mothers Day Kristin

xo Mette

Cameron said...

Makes my eyes a teary...I almost made it through the day without crying....haha! Thanks a lot, Kristin! ;P

So beautiful and touching....and perfect :)

minnemie said...

Beautiful... I though of you yesterday as your PPF post was still fresh in my mind. What a gift you are to your little one... hope the days was precious.

Lynn Cohen said...

Wow what a poem! What a mommy and what an adorable little girl!

Jen @Sadie Inspired said...

You are SUCH a great writer!! Is there anything you can't do?? :) That poem is just the sweetest and your little girl melts my heart. TOO adorable!! :) Happy Belated Mother's Day!

Scarlett Clay said...

She is THE cutest little princess, love her little sparkly hearts on her glasses! :) Lovely lovely words, that poem is priceless!

Unknown said...

oh....this is so beautiful and what a sweet, sweet picture!